March 23 @ 9:00 AM - 12:00 PMFree
Come and join us in our first 2023 Learning Journey to the Centro de Apoyo Mutuo- CAM Las Carolinas in Caguas. The CAMs arose from the institutional support vacuum after the 2017 hurricanes and still sustain themselves by providing essential services to their communities.
CAM Las Carolinas is a women-led organization that provides food and care to the aging and the disabled population in their community. They rehabilitated an abandoned public school where they provide emergency relief and other community services. Twice a week they serve 100 meals to the elderly and disabled. They also run a thrift bazaar and the community’s resiliency center.
Check out their work on Facebook or Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/camlascarolinas/
On this journey:
- You will be able to learn from these extraordinary women about equity and justice for the most vulnerable (Health, Housing, Rural Poverty).
- You will have the opportunity to work with them to
- serve and distribute 100 lunches
- clean and sort the community thrift bazar
- pack basic hygiene essentials for who most need
- On this occasion, if you wish
- you can donate hygiene products for distribution (soap, shampoo, adult diapers, toothbrushes and paste, paper towels, wet wipes, etc), or
- you can donate second hand clothes and home supplies for the bazar (shirts, skirts, pants, dresses, blouses or kitchenware, utensils, bowls, plates, etc)
Prepare for the Journey:
It is important that you prepare before each and every journey to be able to take the most out of the experience.
Before the event, take 10 minutes to answer these questions, preferably in a personal journal by hand.
- What do I want to explore during the visit? Make a list of questions.
- What assumptions do I bring with me? What do I expect to find there?
- What significant experience in my life is similar to what I hope to see and experience there?
During the visit, arrive with curiosity, compassion and courage so that your experience is genuine. Trust your intuition and ask authentic questions that emerge from the conversations. Keep your attention on what most attracts you from the experience.
After we leave, go back to your journal and reflect on what you perceived and learn that might have been different that what you wrote.
We will open a short agenda item in our next Action Dialogue, for those who want to share their experience with the rest of your peers.