FORWARD Puerto Rico Fund Impact of the FORWARD Fund Filantropía...Read More
Learning to Listen: Meet the Grantees
Filantropía Puerto Rico celebrates the end of [L2L Phase 1] with a gathering at the Museo de Arte Contemporaneo. We are happy to report that this participatory grantmaking exercise has resulted in the awarding of projects working in the fields of education, transparency and governance, and the environment.
Read all the details to know more about the organizations selected for these grants and this journey of learning to listen.
This group’s objective is to support systemic changes to Puerto Rico’s education system via:
I. Community-based projects – Leverage and strengthen community-based organizations that have demonstrated a focus on transforming and empowering communities to impact the schools within. The grantees selected are:
- Asociación de Comunidades Unidas Tomando Acción Solidaria Inc. (ACUTAS) $50,000
- Centro de Apoyo Mutuo Bucarabones Unido Inc.: $98,000
- Movimiento al Rescate de mi Escuela (MARE): $50,000
II. Oversight bodies – Promote and support oversight bodies that, from a grassroots base, develop criteria, oversight skills and accountability, while promoting change in the Department of Education. Fiscal Entity Projects Selected and collaborating are:
Transparency + Governance
The main objective is to support a cross-sectional strengthening of communities’ civic engagement by:
- Improving the efficiency and effectiveness of grantees in designing and implementing initiatives to reduce inequities on the island.
- Increase representation and promote citizen activism related to governance and inclusivity, while impacting everyone’s well being and encouraging commitment from a new generation of community leaders.
- Create projects enabling citizen participation, transparency and accountability of municipal governments’ decisions
Ecosystem of organizations are composed by: $155,500
- VAMOS Concertación ciudadana (acting as fiscal sponsor): $50,000
- FURIA: $45,000
- La Liga de Ciudades: $20,000
- Sembrando Sentido: $20,00
- Observatorio de Equidad de Género: $20,500
- Espacios Abiertos: Part of the ecosystem, no grant
Working in support and collaboration with:
- Casa Solidaria Matria: $50,000
- Naguabo Somos Todos: $44,500
- Centro para la Reconstrucción del Hábitat: $50,000
The principal objective is to advance resiliency and sustainability of nonprofit environmental organizations while reinforcing leadership, strengthening fiscal and programmatic health, increasing collective voice and influence, and facilitating collaboration within the sector to promote transformational systemic changes and achieve socio-environmental sustainability. Selected organizations are the following:
- Instituto para la Investigación y la Acción en la Agroecología (IALA)
- IALA received a single grant of: $35,000
- IALA will be in charge of the following organizations’ grants: