Arts & Culture
Hispanic Federation’s Charlotte Gossett spoke about building coalitions and the need to have a clear shared approach before supporting arts and culture policy advocacy.
Environment + Education + Gender
Identified actions related to these topics, while creating a collective agenda addressing energy transformation through technical training, public policy, and community education.
Environment + Public Policy
Talked to Environmental Defense Fund’s Agustín Carbó Lugo about public policy for clean and sustainable energy to support community resilience in Puerto Rico. We concluded on the need to convene a community learning network, support organizations and foundations to share experiences and the challenges of transforming energy for our islands.
Robusteciendo la Justicia Social (Strengthening Social Justice)
FiPR just launched this Ford Foundation funded project to support the long-term sustainability of seven organizations focused on social justice issues related to housing, land use, the environment and civic engagement. More details on this multi-year grant and its grantees coming soon.
Learning to Listen + FORWARD Fund
We celebrated the end of Phase 1 with a meet and greet at the Museo de Arte Contemporaneo and are happy to report that this participatory grantmaking exercise resulted in Forward Fund grants to the following organizations:
Education: The group objective is to support systemic changes to Puerto Rico’s education system via:
Community based projects: Leverage and strengthen community-based organizations that have demonstrated a focus on transforming and empowering communities to impact the schools within. The ones selected are:
- Asociación de Comunidades Unidas Tomando Acción Solidaria Inc. (ACUTAS)
- Centro de Apoyo Mutuo Bucarabones Unido Inc.
- Movimiento al Rescate de mi Escuela (MARE)
- Observatorio de Educación
- Proyecto Matria
Transparency + Governance: objective is to support a cross-sectional strengthening of communities’ civic engagement by:
- Improving the efficiency and effectiveness of grantees in designing and implementing initiatives to reduce inequities on the island.
- Increase representation and promote citizen activism related to governance and inclusivity, while impacting everyone’s well being and encouraging commitment from a new generation of community leaders.
- Create projects enabling citizen participation, transparency and accountability of municipal governments’ decision.
- VAMOS Concertacion ciudadana
- La Liga de Ciudades
- Espacios Abiertos
- Sembrando Sentido
- Observatorio de Equidad de Genero
- Casa Solidaria Matria
- Naguabo Somos Todos
- Centro para la Reconstrucción del Hábitat
- Instituto para la Investigación y la Acción en la Agroecología also is support of: YUCAE, Toabajeños en Defensa del Ambiente, Amaneser 2025
- Parceleras AfroCaribeñas
- Fideicomiso de Tierras Comunitarias para la Agricultura Sostenible
- Para la Naturaleza
- Fideicomiso del Bosque Modelo de Puerto Rico
We are only 16 days away from seeing all of you in our virtual learning sessions and in-person at the opening cocktail hour and community visit events. Grantmakers: reserve your spot if you haven’t done so already. Check out the latest schedule here.